Meet Your Counselors
Who are School Counselors?
- A School Counselor is a licensed/certified professional holding a minimum of a Master's Degree and a Pupil Personnel Services Credential.
What is their role?
- The role of a Professional School Counselor is to design and deliver school counseling programs that improve student outcomes.
- They lead, advocate and collaborate to promote equity and access for all students by connecting their school counseling program to the school’s academic mission and school improvement plan.
- They uphold the ethical and professional standards of the American School Counseling Association (ACSA) and promote the development of the school counseling program based on the following areas of the ASCA National Model: define, deliver, manage and assess.
What services are offered?
School counselors create school counseling programs based on three sets of standards that define the profession. These standards help school counselors develop, implement and assess their school counseling program to improve student outcomes.
To learn more about the role of our counselors in the Moreno Valley Unified School District, please view our Counseling Handbook.
Meet the Counseling Team
Hello Ridge Crest Family!
My name is Mrs. Zavala and I am very happy and excited to be your school counselor. My educational background consists of a minor in Spanish, B.A. in Psychology, and obtained my M.S. and P.P.S. all degrees through California State University, San Bernardino. My love for education and my profession motivates me to continue learning and attending conferences and workshops. This is my 6th year as an elementary school counselor. Interests: Spending time with my daughter and husband, going to Disneyland, reading, and shopping. My passion has always been to help students at the elementary level build resilience, learn coping strategies, and achieve academic success.
Why Elementary School Counseling
The elementary school years set the foundation for developing the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary for children to become healthy, competent, and confident learners. Elementary school counselors have an impact on these years by implementing a school counseling program and collaborating with school staff, parents, and the community to create a safe and respectful learning environment. By providing education, prevention, early identification, and intervention, elementary school counselors help their students achieve academic success, develop an understanding of career opportunities, and develop social/ emotional skills in response to issues they face.
Our school counseling program addresses many topics and provides support and services to our students, staff, and community.
- Classroom guidance lessons
- Small group counseling
- Individual counseling
- Consultation with staff and parents
- Conflict mediation
- Restorative conversations
- PBIS tier 1, 2, and 3 support
- Coordinator: Red Ribbon Week, Antibullying Month, College and Career Kickoff, and other school-wide events
Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns I’m here to support you and our students.
For appointments https://forms.gle/quxAJBjStRzXYY437
Phone: (951) 571-4640